At Grand Rapids Chair Company, we’re all about making environments more pleasant, comfortable, and healthy. Our sustainability efforts—which are geared to make the planet more hospitable for all of us and future generations—are just a natural extension of our business plan.
Made in Michigan
Our products are built in our Grand Rapids, Michigan factory. We focus on reducing reliance on foreign manufacturing operations and promoting social sustainability—supporting our community by providing good working conditions and wages to the people who live here.
- Steel and aluminum products are finished with a baked-on powder coat paint process that eliminates VOCs while maximizing color consistency and UV protection
- Upholstered seat boards and table tops are made with oriented strand board, minimizing VOCs
- Our wood seats, backs, and frames are finished with an environmentally-friendly water-based finishing system that allows for a wide range of hues while maximizing color consistency and UV protection
- 100% recycled fabrics and PVC-free vinyls are available from fabric partners including Momentum Textiles, CF Stinson, and a variety of other companies
Repurpose and Recycle
- We use steel that contains up to 30% of recycled content
- 100% of internally generated steel and aluminum scrap are recycled
- 100% of scrap wood is recycled
- 100% shipping skids and corrugated board are recycled
Our products are manufactured so that they can be easily disassembled at the end of life. Most of the components can be recycled. Because of the durability of our products, they are also frequently repurposed and reused secondhand. Some of our favorite charitable donation sites include local soup kitchens, or you can visit goodwill.org or habitat.org to identify a drop-off location near you.
Our Commitment to Sustainability
As a family-owned business, Grand Rapids Chair Company has always focused on long-term interests over short-term rewards. Our fundamental purpose is to create something of lasting value—for our customers and employees, our community, and our planet. That’s why sustainability is just as important to us as building high-quality products. And it’s why we continue to work for even greater sustainability every day.